Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Just some info for the locals....


Wow...the Lyric Stage has a truly notable season coming in.

While I don't know what I'll actually get to see here's what I'm hoping for (and encouraging YOU to try to see)....

FOLLIES (This is an amazing Sondhiem musical, so haunting!) It makes me shake my head to remember that my first experience with this show is being cast as Hattie when I was only 17. Wonderful song (Broadway Baby), RIDICULOUS casting.

THE YEAR OF MAGICAL THINKING I never had a chance to catch this in NY.

CAT ON A HOT TIN ROOF One of Tennessee William's most passionate plays dealing with love, marriage and homosexuality.

SPEECH AND DEBATE This was one of my all time favorite Off B'way Plays. It was a sleeper hit in NYC last season. Second Stage premiered this lovely 3 person play and it ended up being extended two or three times due to its popularity. The basic story involves 3 high school misfits that band forces when they realize a dark thread they have in common. Quite the dark comedy, I won't be missing this.

GREY GARDENS An off beat and bizarre musical that garnered a huge following the short time it was on B'way. The story (based on a documentary of the same name -- I think) tells of the eccentric lives and downfall of two of Jackie Kennedy Onassis' cousins. Phenominal story telling, interesting music....and it shows how different a musical can be.

Tickets for all of Lyric's shows are currently being sold. Go. Buy. See. Share.

And of course, lots of stuff coming in for Broadway Across America: Boston
(Sadly, two shows I was really excited about (Pre NY try outs) have been "postponed", which in professional terms usually means CANCELLED: Brigadoon and Harry Connick, Jr's Nice Work If You Can Get It.)

My picks:

A Chorus Line (but only if you haven't seen it before, the revival did NOT live up to the original for me.)

Legally Blonde Just a FUN, lively and PINK show that will keep you smiling and singing!

How the Grinch Stole Christmas But JUST for the younger kids!

Chicago Always fun to see, but a little risque....but I think FUNNIER than the movie.h

Frost/Nixon Stacy Keach? OH MY! Political Drama

Movin' Out Billy Joel music. Twyla Tharp choreography. A beautiful ballet.

Spring Awakening High school students and up: GO SEE THIS. Just don't sit with your parents! This is an important musical to see, but it is NOT for everyone. If there were "ratings" for stage shows, this would be rated R...but since it is live the sexuality is much more raw and intense. While stage seating is available...spring (no pun intended) for house seats unless you've seen it before.


Just as a side note: MANY of these shows are not yet on sale. Just keep an eye on things.

2 comments:

New Old Friends said...

I would thoroughly recommend the Year of Magical Thinking. It's on at the moment here in the UK (Theatre Royal Bath) with Vanessa Redgrave and it's great. If you're into new theatre please come check out our blog following the trials and tribulations of a new young theatre company trying to make their way in the world.

Esther said...

I've seen shows at the Huntington Theater and SpeakEasy Stage but I've never been to the Lyric Stage. I'm hoping to catch Follies and Speech and Debate.

I saw A Chorus Line many, many years ago in Boston when I was in college and I definitely want to see it again. I listened to the cast recording recently for the first time in a long time and the dancers' stories are still incredibly moving and poignant.

And I definitely agree about Spring Awakening. I saw it on Broadway with the original cast, except for Stephen Spinella, and I loved it.