Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Close-tastrophe!

So sad on the Great White Way. In less than ten days THREE b'way shows have announced their closing. Perhaps sad isn't the right word. I'm not one to get emotional over the closing of a show, but it seems so fast to resort to closing.

TITLE OF SHOW. Not suprising as it has not been able to fill their theatre past 50% capacity since the second week of their (very) short run. An adorable show, but I always felt it was really an "off b'way" show and would never truly be able to make a go of it on B'way.

XANADU. This one DID suprise me. Having Whoopi in a role really proved that with stunt casting, this show COULD pack in an audience....so why the push to kill it? Then, to make matters worse...they CHANGED the closing date: BY TWO WEEKS! Uncanny.

On a personal note....I had somehow secured stage seats for my kids and I for Oct 4. They were SO excited, and couldn't wait to be on stage. I was excited for them. How disappointing to have to tell them we wouldn't be going. There were tears, and it simply wasn't pretty.

I'm GUESSING that the Helen Hayes Theater has a show that is already coming in...and made it worth their while for them to exit before the first of the month.

LEGALLY BLONDE. A truly delightful and entertaining show. (As much as I don't want to admit it, the true guilty pleasure!) There had been rumors that this would be exiting the Palace Theater to make way for West Side Story in early 2009. No official announcement about that.

Best wishes to the casts and crews of these shows and may they find work knocking down their doors!

No comments: