Saturday, September 27, 2008

Casting Thoroughly Modern Millie


Well, the deed is done. After sign ups, auditions and callbacks: a cast list has been made and posted. We even got in a few scant rehearsals. All is good.

For those that have never been part of the casting process, let me assure you: it is not fun. My best analogy for the casting process is a huge jigsaw puzzle...where every piece fits....but you have no picture to guide you. Then add to it that you are casting high school kids and mix into it how well you KNOW most of them and how much it means to many of them: it turns into a hot mess of sleepless nights. Truly. I never sleep better then the night AFTER a cast list is posted.

There are always a few you worry about for a variety of reasons: will they be upset to have gotten a smaller part than they hoped? Will they be anxiety ridden upon finding out how big of a part they have?

Is part of "show biz" learning disappointment? Naturally. But as a public school educator, I am always concerned with the whole student. And to be honest; it is more important to me to keep their love for theatre alive, along with their drive to create than it is to teach them about the harsh reality of life. Don't get me wrong...I cast the best show that I can (and I can say that in 15+ years of casting, I have only doubted ONE decision). I just worry.

This is the first year I've had to be physically present at the high school when the cast list was posted. Previously, my (newly retired) colleague would put up the list while I was safely hidden at the middle school. In all honesty, it wasn't as bad as I'd thought it might be. In fact, watching what seemed to be true joy for friends that had fared well was inspiring.

I haven't heard of any tears or anger...and I am always certain to ask around. Most of the feedback seems really positive. I'm always willing to talk to a student that needs to. I don't mind if kids are dissappointed...it just means it meant a lot to them. Tears? You can't help how you feel. I think the "getting over it" is more important than the initial knee-jerk reaction.

Millie is an odd musical: MANY more roles for the girls than the guys. And even the parts for the men are less visable then their female counterparts. Once you get past the leading roles the pickin's are slim. Most of the men's remaining are one or two liners. Which left a lot more disappointed guys then girls. (From a purely sexist point of view: it's about time!!)

No comments: