Monday, August 11, 2008

I've been a bad, bad, blog girl.

I know, I should be ashamed of myself for ignoring this for so long. Of course, I haven't actually TOLD anyone about this blog....so who the heck cares.

So...what has happened since FEB? Well, as a drama teacher, the play I told you about (the one in competetion?) made it all the way to state finals!!! FINALS. Only 14 out of over 120 make it to state finals. I was incredibly proud and happy for my students. They'd worked incredibly hard and taken so many risks...they truly deserved it. Along the way, my cast and crew won many wonderful individual awards and great public kudos. We had students from other rounds of competition come BACK to see us perform at States because they loved the show so much. I'd met other students that HEARD about our show (the one about coming out of the closet) and came to see it.

Sadly, at states, the judges were less postive. But the audience loved it: we were the only school to be entirely "sold out" and to recieve a standing ovation from the ENTIRE 1,500 seat audience. It was a joy. And the other school worthy comment: I was FINALLY moved from my 15 year stint as the middle school drama teacher to the coveted post of HIGH SCHOOL Drama Teacher. Sounds silly perhaps, but I'd been waiting forever for this to happen. Of course the biggest obstacle was the man already IN that job. STOP....that didn't sound right. I ADORED the man that was also an obstacle, and I didn't take anything away from him, he simply and finally RETIRED.

Getting the school to turn over the job to me was not simple at all. Or maybe it was. All I know, is that after working for the school for FIFTEEN FREAKING YEARS, I had to jump through hoops unknown to mortal man. A resume???? Didn't they KNOW what I'd been doing? Still seems RIDICULOUS to me. I had to interview, I was observed, and basically, I felt as though "they" were dangling a carrot in front of me: all year. Could this totally been in my head? Certainly. Am I paranoid? To a certain extent. Was the job mine all along but they needed to follow all of the "proper channels"? Very likely.

But none of that actually matters: because they FINALLY offered me the job! OY. Now the work begins. I'm going from teaching 2 classes I've been teaching for 15 years to teaching SIX classes I've never taught before. And two of them are academic writing classes. Craziness.

No comments: