Tuesday, August 26, 2008

A Teacher's Summer Ends

I know, I know. No one wants to hear a teacher complain about going back to work in the fall. After all, here it is August 26 and I haven't "officially" been to work since June 15 (approximately). Well, that's not true. I did get paid to go to work for one day to train my replacement. AND...I did put it another four unnoffical days, meeting with drama officers to put out a mailing for the incoming freshmen, putting up 3 bulletin boards (I haven't put up a bulletin board for about 13 years!), organizing, prepping and only god knows what else. This does not include the time at home I've put in all summer to get ready for this point.

And I STILL don't feel ready for tomorrow. Ok...tomorrow isn't a day to be ready for, really. There won't be any students. In my district, teachers put in what's referred to as two "in-service" days. Which translates to meetings coming out of your wazoo combined with SOME time to get work done. Since this is my first time at the meetings at the HIGH school level...I'm not even sure how much of which time I do get. I do know this:

Wednesday AM....District-wide meeting.
Wednesday AM....Secondary Department Meetings (English for me)
LUNCH
Wednesday PM....Open for working (as far as I know)
Thurdsay AM.....School-wide Meeting
Thursday AM.....Freshman Orientation
Thursday PM.....Computer Software Training

Sound like fun? It's not. Most teachers do not do well with just sitting and listening. It's not what we do. We'd all rather be doing. And there's SO much to do before the students show up.

I say: to heck with me having to deal with adults and reality. Send the kids in and let me have some fun!!!!!

No comments: