Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Spring Awakening, AKA My Obsession


2007 Tony Award winner for Best New Musical, Spring Awakening, is one of those shows that you either "get it" and therefore, love it; or you don't get it, and walk out of the theater unsatisfied. There are very few folks in the gray area for this show. I myself am a (not so) proud member of the former group, and much to my embarrassment, have seen the show 16 times in the past year. I will be the first to admit that I can understand some people being offended with some of the subject matter. The rock musical deals with masturbation, sexual and physical abuse, sexuality, abortion, and death.....and does so with characters that are (for the most part) in their mid-teen years. Some scenes are graphic; and some are humorous.

The musical is based on a German play by Frank Wedeken in the 1890's and was viewed as so morally deprived that it was banned for YEARS. While Stephen Sater and Duncan Sheik have definintley but a contemporary slant on things with the rock-style music, much of the spoken dialogue is taken directly form the original source, and is kept as a period piece. Why contemporary music if it's a period piece? To show that things haven't really changed as much as we might like to think. For me, personally, it gave me an invaluable insight to the opposite sex during the time of adolescence. Unlike MOST musicals, the music here acts as inner monologues for the characters.

I've been lucky to seen the original cast (only missing the lovely Krysta Rodriguez) all the way to the current cast (only missing Hunter Parrish). I will simply point out some of my favorite outstanding performers.


From the original cast:
Jonathan Groff (Melchoir, Tony Nominated), not the perfect actor but perfect for this role. A more committed actor you would be hard pressed to find.
John Gallagher, Jr. (Moritz, Tony Winner) a true rock star, and a fabulous actor. Johnny also writes and performs his own music and is just the nicest, most sincere guy. (And he's fun in a bar at 3a.m.)
Gideon Glick (Ernst) one of the first to leave, went on to college but ended up running about 6 months with a wonderful off b'way show called Speech and Debate.
Jonathan B Wright (Hanschen) No one has owned this part like JBW. He was born for this role and played it to perfection. He has two movies coming out, both with Michael Cera.
Lilli Cooper (Martha) probably the most underrated actress on the SA stage.
Gerard Canonico (original ensemble, understudy, current Moritz) It took me a while to warm up to Gerard. But the first time I could specifically hear HIM from my stage seats changed everything. And then I got to know him a little and they changed even more. I beleive the first words I spoke to him went something like this: You can sing in my ear ANY day, and he could. Also look for his cd with his Jersey based band Taking Chances.

ANY of the replacement cast members:
BLAKE BASHOFF (Moritz) I can not say enough about this actor, coming into a b'way show when the MOST beloved member was leaving ALL TOO SOON, is not easy. Bashoff never tried to be Gallagher, but from day one made the role his own. Personally, as much as I adore JGJ, Blake's acting choices worked better for me. The day he left 8/2 was a sad day for me: but he left to head up the Nat'l tour of SA...at least for a few months. He's a delightful and sincere guy.
Matt Doyle (ensemble, understudy extradinaire, current Hanschen) Talented and underused guy. I don't actually think Hanschen was his strongest part, but I see great things in his future. I could listen to him sing forever.
Jesse Swenson (understudy) The only part, I've seen Jesse cover has been Melchior. Personally, I really love his interpretation. He has two three scenes where he becomes my favorite Melchior (although Groff officially holds that position) and the one that he steals my heart with is the Graveyard Scene. It works so much better with his interpretation.
Morgan Carr (ensemble, u/s Ernst) I loved Morgan's take on Ernst....I fell in love with him. Another thing that makes him stand out: when you watch him in the ensemble it is so obvious how utterly THRILLED he is to be on that stage. I went out of my way to relay that to him and he was sincerely touched by the compliment. Can you imagine being on B'way at 18??? OY.

August 6th was my last time (forever) seeing Spring Awakening...after all, enough is enough and there is so much amazing theater ON and OFF B'way to see. (Ok...if Gerard and Shingledecker are in the tour in Boston, I GUESS I'll drag myself) Thank you Duncan Sheik, Steven Sater, Michael Mayer (director) and Bill T. Jones (choreographer) for bringing a beautiful piece of art to Broadway.

There's a moment you know....

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

actually i can imagine being on broadway at 18 or 17 rather. cuz i was in spelling bee. even if it was for one night.

christine engels said...

Wait Ms. Sisk, you like Spring Awakening?

Anita Levy-Sisk said...

Bwahahahaha. A little.

Esther said...

I saw Spring Awakening last summer, as the last show in my seven musicals in five days marathon, and I loved it. I was crying at the end. And the whole cast was wonderful at the stage door, especially John Gallagher Jr. What an incredibly talented and gracious group of people!