Sunday, May 9, 2010

Another attempt to catch up!

This blog is an attempt to figure out WHAT I still need to catch up on. It won't be easy. But here goes:

New Cast of Hair
Next to Normal (yes, again)
The Burnt Part Boys
Bloody, Bloody Andrew Jackson
American Idiot
Lend Me a Tenor
Everyday Rapture
Next Fall
Matt Doyle at Joe's Pub
In the Heights with Corbin Bleu (really!)

The Tony Award Nominations


Hmmmm.....what to discuss HERE? Short blurbs:

Corbin Bleu as Usnavi at In The Heights. I liked this show the first time. Sweet, fresh although not terribly orignal. BECAUSE of the introduction of Mr. Bleu (from High School Musical fame) both my kids decided they DID trust my opinion of them enjoying this show. While I still don't LOVE the show, I will say I enjoyed it JUST as much as I did the first time. Both the kids really loved it, too. Watching THEM watch a show is indeed, priceless. Corbin was really wonderful on stage and captured the essence of Usnavi completely. I will admit, many were skeptical of his being cast, but he won over all of the naysayers I'd heard from -- well, those that actually saw him perform. My DD begged to stage door, so we obliged her. By the time Corbin came out, we were half frozen but it was well worth the wait. He was warm and gracious and took a little bit of time with everyone that waited for him. He was incredibly sweet to my daughter and was happy enough to pose for a few pix with her. You'd have thought he was an old b'way pro and fit in the atmosphere of SD very nicely.

Matt Doyle at Joe's Pub
My favorite little club for some b'way performers cabaret style shows, indeed. Matt is working on releasing an album and this gig was a pre-cursor to that endeavor. He sang mostly songs from up and coming composers. I'm sorry I don't have the play list and can't list any of the numbers. But I will say...I would go out of my way to hear Matt sing, he has such a true quality to his voice...so honest. It was also lovely to hear him sing with Jen Damiano (Next to Normal, Spring Awakening). My favorite moment, though, was when former student, Katie Gassert, sang with him. I couldn't have been more proud if I were her mom. It's something seeing someone you've directed since they were TWELVE blossom the way Katie has. I wish her well and hope a suited casting comes her way soon.
(see her here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxOGJFD5qTc)

Everyday Rapture
First, the ONLY reason this has made it to B'way is because Megan Mullalley dropped out of Lips Together, Teeth Apart causing the Roundabout to cacel the show...so they had an empty theater.

This is Sherie Rene Scott's autobiographical musical. Most of you are thinking: Who the heck is she? She IS well known on the B'way circuit with such originating roles as Ursala (Little Mermaid), The Last Five Years (Off B'way), Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, Aida, and Rent. But what needs to be asked is WHY? She is crazy talented, and I was entertained. But I had to keep asking myself WHY does her story need to be told? It isn't hardship filled. She didn't overcome great adversity. She had a life...and one she's still filling. The whole thing just seemed...well...indulgent. (BTW...she managed to snag a few Tony noms...showing was a weak year this has been for musicals.)

That's enough for now. I promise: in a few days, I'll write some more! I swear that I will be all caught up before I see any new shows. (And that's not likely to happen before Father's day weekend.)

2 comments:

Janine said...

hey the link to your review about the new HAIR cast seems to be broken.

Anita Levy-Sisk said...

There are no links in this post. That's just a list of what I WILL be catching up on.