Thursday, May 13, 2010

The Mediocore.


New Cast of Hair -- Weeelll.....not as bad as I feared, not as good as I hoped. Three weeks into their run after taking over, they still hadn't found their true ensemble. Kyle Riabko (Claude) was MUCH better than I expected. I knew vocally he could handle it (beautiful voice) but I was concerned about the acting: after the first few moment where I thought I would HATE him, he delivered a Claude that was sensitive, perplexed and caring. We got to chat for a few minutes after the show, and he was as gracious as ever. Ace Young (Berger) didn't fare as well in my eyes, but he was serviceable. He just didn't seem real. I felt he was trying to be Will Swenson trying to be Berger. Sadly, Diana DiGarmo was out the performance we saw, but I heard she is wonderful.

The Burnt Part Boys -- Zzzzzzzz. Why? WHY? It's just not right. An uninspired story, a redundant score (I'm SURE Bluegrass can be more diverse that what is here.), a cheesey ending. However, many talented folks trying their best to make it work.


American Idiot
-- I wanted to love this, I really did. And there were things I truly liked, but I cannot be passionate over this, or go so far to reccommend it, and that breaks my heart. Truly.

First, this has made me a fan of Green Day. I get THEM, and I love listening to their music. Michael Mayer pretty much gave birth to this telling of Green Day's American Idiot concept album. They created more to the basic idea, but only added minimal lines of dialogue. Basic story line: three slacker friends run off to the big city only to have their lives continue to spiral toward death. One never makes it because his gf is preggers so he stays home. But he sucks as a partner AND a parent, so she leaves him. He's just as unhappy after she leaves. Buddy number two, makes it to the city but is somehow swept away my the media (???) and joins the army ***SPOILER*** where he loses a leg. He does fall in love with his nurse. We know nothing more. The third gentleman, gets to and stays in the city. He falls in love but falls to the perils of massive drug use. Somehow he sobers up enough to know he needs to straighten up. So he does, wears a tie and gets a job. And is miserable. Bottom line? I didn't feel a thing for a single character. And if I don't feel anything, I just don't care.

I fault the book for this. There just isn't anything to MAKE you care! We never get to know more than the slacker side to these characters -- and really, what the heck is appealing about that?. THAT being said, I think the cast is AMAZINGLY talented and the energy they expel is beyond belief. They dedicated themselves like nobody's business. They SOUNDED amazing -- the harmonies are beautiful. (Although, sadly, little of that transfered to the recording.) There is a part of me that sorta kinda wants to go back and see if a second viewing might make a more emotional connection -- but that feeling is waning.

John Gallagher, Jr was stupendous, and I'm a little suprised he did not garner a Tony Nomination. Other worthy mentions: Tony Vincent as the truly evil St. Jimmy, Rebecca Naomi Jones as Whathername and Gerard Canonico of the ensemble.

Everyday Rapture Hm. Where to start? Everyday Rapture is Sherie Rene Scott's life story, starring Sherie Rene Scott. And it's a musical. And the music is all pre-existing. And I didn't know a single song.

Scott is talented and highly entertaining. After all, her b'way resume is damn impressive: Rent, Aida, Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, Little Mermaid. AND she has a HUGE following. But as I sat there for 90 uninterupted minutes I kept thinking: WHY? Why do we care? Why is HER story worth telling? Why is this considered inspirational? WHY did I chose to see this? Ok...sure, she use to be a mennonite. Well, HALF mennonite. So what? She's not now. People praise her honesty for discussing an abortion early on in her life. WHY? When she talks about it, it's not any big deal...not to make the decision or live with the decision. It's not a frightening ordeal, no one is trying to keep her from doing it. She talks about it with no emotion whatsoever...so again I ask: WHY???

Thank goodness I only paid TDF prices. I think I would have HATED it if I'd paid full price! Please note: MANY people this is the best thing on the Great White Way...gosh, I hoope not.

One last thought: if Meghan Mullally (Of TV's Will and Grace and B'way's Young Frankenstien) hadn't walked out of the revival of Lips Together, Teeth Apart causing the Roundabout to cancel the show, this show would have never seen the light of day on B'way.

2 comments:

Janine said...

Has American Idiot gotten good reviews? I haven't seen many good reviews. It is currently on my list of shows to see when I go to NY for my bday in August.

Anita Levy-Sisk said...

Actually, it has gotten pretty decent professional reviews...but I don't think it will last a full year.