Sunday, January 17, 2010

FINALLY!

Bye Bye Birdie (Revival) -- We waited 50 years for THIS? Ok, I do need to state that I did NOT hate this the way so many of my 'theater friends' did. I was just incredibly disappointed and bored. Most people will review BBB as horrid miscasting. Nope. This is simply a case of the worst direction of a musical. I truly believe that Robert Longbottom TOTALLY missed the boat on this production. He missed the entire point of the show. Where was the commentary on popular entertainment? Where was the disdain for "FanGirls"? His actors were instructed off the mark as to WHO their characters were. Additionally, the characters were not existing in the same 'world of the play'. Bill Irwin (whose work I usually adore) was practically inhuman. Jayne Houdyshell took one of the funniest characters to exist and made her heartless and mean. John Stamos was incredibly inconsistent throughout...WHO IS Albert Peterson? Stamos cannot answer that question, obviously. The kids ensemble, while energetic and lively, lacked character and depth.

Gina Gerson. Singing is nothing more than 'ordinary'. Her acting (she was incredibly in Boeing Boeing) was misguided at best. Her dance skills? Totally ill equipped for this paricular role. Allie Trimm has an absolutely lovely voice (and I hear she is an adorable person -- she certainly was very sweet to my kids at the stage door) but I felt her "Kim" was incredibly boring. Nolan Gerard Funk as Birdie was adequate bordering on good, but nothing stands out about his performance. His undertstudy, Robi Hager, got to play the role a few times (Nolan got sick in previews) and I understand he was WONDERFUL.

Matt Doyle is perhaps the real stand out in Birdie as Hugo. Sadly, this is a small role, so not enough stage time for Mr. Doyle to get the attention he deserves. Thankfully, they re-arranged One Boy so that Matt could sing -- a real treat for any audience. I simply felt that Matt's choices were the only ones that exhibited the true understanding and intent and style of a show like Birdie.

God of Carnage -- Winner of the 2009 Best Play, starring Jeff Daniels, Hope Davis, James Gandolfine and Marcia Gay Harden. (ALL nominate for Best Actor, although only Harden won.) Mind you, the cast is entirely different now, and is not pulling in the audiences that is was during the orignal cast's run. (Still: Annie Potts, Jimmy Smits and Christine Lahti SHOULD be able to reel them in.)

From Broadway.com: What happens when two sets of parents meet up to deal with the unruly behavior of their children? A calm and rational debate between grown-ups about the need to teach kids how to behave properly? Or a hysterical night of name-calling, tantrums and tears before bedtime?

My basic feeling was this was a good time and quite a ride, but I couldn't help thinking, "this is it?" I wanted there to be something more, something beyond the jokes and physical suprises. I felt that while the circumstance were believable, the character development was not. I (obviously) am far in the minority with my lack of adoration for this show. Maybe I'm getting to be too much of a seat snob and it's affecting my enjoyment. I was sitting mid-mezzanine, as there were NO discounts available for this show during the original cast's run. (ME? A snob? Naaaah.)


Superior Donuts -- by Tracey Letts (August: Osage County)
Do NOT compare this to A:OC, which was a masterpiece beyond description, truly. This is a thought filled comedy set in Chicago. Superior Donuts centers on Arthur Przybyszewski (Michael McKean) a former hippie and current lost soul, that owns the doughnut shop that houses the entire scope of the play. Franco Wicks (Jon Michael Hill), a black teenager who is his only employee, wants to change the shop for the better. The play explores the challenges of embracing the past and the redemptive power of friendship.

First, let me say that Jon Michael HIll is a young man to watch for in the future. I think given the right vehicle, he could be successful on TV, in movies or on B'way. He was intriguing and believable and had such an 'essense' about him. You cannot help but be drawn to him. Second, it was delightful to see McKean (LENNY!) on stage, who totally inhabited his character.

However, the evening ws pleasant. But that's it. Sure, I laughed, but I didn't care all that much. I could see the entire plot unfold a mere 30 minutes in. The stage 'fight' was laughable. Too, too long and too, too ineffective. I don't want to go to the theater for "pleasant". LIFE is pleasant and I don't have to ride a bus for 4 hours to experience it. Rumor is that Letts never wanted Superior Donuts to hit b'way, as he new it was far inferior to A:OC. He should have stuck to his guns.

Another play to be on the look out for: Next Fall. On my list which is growing too fast. I do not expect to be in Manhattan again until next Month with the kids and seeing In The Heights and the Fantastiks. Then again in April with the HS kids: Hair, Next to Normal and Fuerza Bruta) For me? Sadly, I do not know. This makes me frown.

Life is Good, Broadway is Better!

1 comment:

Janine said...

Looks as if i am not missing too much by not seeing Bye Bye Birdie. I have seen tons of not so great reviews for that show. I haven't seen it myself but saw a number from it on the Macy's Parade in November and John Stamos can't sing OR dance! How was he cast in that role?