Saturday, January 9, 2010

Can I truly catch up in one more blog????

You betcha, I can!

It's another sad January for the Great White Way. Not as many closings as last year...but still quite a few. More sad, from my point of view, are the shows that didn't seem to get a real chance to shine, namely Ragtime and Finian's Rainbow. Both Revivals and both well rec'd by the majority of folks I know.

On the other hand, there is a lot of exciting things (and people) coming along as well. Green Day's American Idiot, fresh from its twice extended run at Berkely has just announce it's plans to open on Bway THIS spring. While not announced, it's expected that the majority of the cast is staying with the show including: John Gallagher, Jr. Couldn't be happier even though I've heard mixed things as well as the fact that I'm DEFINITELY NOT the demographic for this musical. Still, I am oddly drawn to it...and perhaps because of the cast more than anything else.

Also coming:
Kelsey Grammer in La Cages aux Folles
Abigail Breslin in The Miracle Worker
Bebe Neuwirth
Nathan Lane in The Addams Family
Tony Shaloub in Lend Me a Tenor directed by Stanley Tucci

Oh, there's more...but my mind swims.


Ragtime (Revival)
I never caught the original production (approximately 11 years ago) so I was THRILLED to hear of this revival. The reports out of DC where this production originated were STELLAR. I was excited. I caught this with my sister Thanksgiving weekend. I was intrigued, I was impressed, I enjoyed. But I was not overwhelmed with love. My sister was even less so impressed. On my travels home that weekend, during a visit with a friend, it was suggested that I go again with my dear friend so that she could see it. I declined. Once was enough.

Then a strange thing happened. I couldn't stop thinking about the show. The story, the music, the faces....it was haunting me (but in a good way). I DID want to see it again and pretty promptly made arrangements to do so with the above mentioned accomplice. It was so moving and so nuanced. I was in love. (I'm fickle, I know) Based on the novel by E.L. Doctorow, this is primarily a story of an ugly time in our country's history, a story of racism. It is also a story about finding purpose in life in a myriad of circumstances. While the score may not be hummable, it certainly is powerful. Standout performances go to Christiane Noll as Mother, Quentin Earl Darrington as Coalhouse Walker, and Bobby Steggert as Younger Brother (My personal favorite by far.)

Sadly, the day afterwards they announced they'd be closing 1/4. This beautifully crafted show just couldn't find it's audience. Then a mere 2 or 3 days later, they announced a one week extention because NOW folks were coming out in droves. the rumor NOW? Is that they will take a hiatus for approx 6 weeks and then comeback. At the root of this talk -- is that Sir Andrew Lloyd Weber may be SUBSIDIZING Ragtime to keep it going. Why? Because he wants the Neil Simon for the Phantom of the Opera sequel. It would be cheaper to subsidize Ragtime than just pay to hold theater. Time will tell.

A Little Night Music (Revival)
Sondheim. Lansbury. Zeta-Jones. Who could ask for anything more? Me. This production (and not the show itself....because I LOVE the show) left me cold. I cannot put my finger on WHAT about this show didn't quite work for me. I was enamored of many of the performances. I didn't mind the scaled down orcestra. The vocals were impressive. The costumes were lush and the set was satisfactory. Granted....when I saw it, the show had only had a few days in previews...maybe they hadn't found their 'groove' yet.
Race

In the Next Room or the Vibrator Play by Sarah Ruhl
From the Lincoln Center: IN THE NEXT ROOM or the vibrator play is a provocative, funny, touching and marvelously entertaining story about a young doctor and his wife. Dr. Givings (Michael Cerveris) is obsessed with the marvels of technology and what they can do for his patients. His wife, Catherine, (Laura Benanti) is only a bystander in her husband's world - listening at the door from the next room as he treats his female patients. Dr. Givings is not sure exactly how the vibrators help the women he treats - but they do keep coming back. The only woman whose problem is not helped by the doctor is his own wife who longs to connect with him - but not electrically.

While I wouldn't say this was my favorite play -- of the season or all time - I had a great time. It was fun and even a little thought provoking. The cast each had some really wonderul moments all. One point of contention: the final scene involves snow falling. I don't feel I've "spoiled" anything for the viewer for two reasons -- 1. The show closed last weekend or is it this weekend; it was a limited engagement and 2. If you'd caught the show yourselves, you'd have known it was going to snow later within the first five minutes of the show. ALL throughout the evening, snowflakes kept falling. About every 10 minutes a flake or two would flutter through the living room. Incredibly distracting, for me, anyway!


Nope, couldn't finish up in one more blog post. Ok, ok but we're that much closer now! Still to come:
Bye Bye Birdie
God of Carnage
Superior Donuts

Life is Good, Broadway is Better!

3 comments:

Janine said...

Hey Anita I have a friend who is in A Little Night Music and I was wondering what you thought of her performance? Her name is Ramona Mallory and she played Anne Egerman.

Anita Levy-Sisk said...

She didn't "wow" me, but I think that could be directorial more than anything.

Didn't her mom and dad meet during the original production, when they were starring in it? I believe her mom played the same role.

Janine said...

sorry it took me so long to respond to you. I don't know if her parents met during the original production but I do know that Ramona plays the same character her mom played in the original version which I think is really neat.