Sunday, May 17, 2009

Spring Awakening -- Revisted on Tour

You know of the unnatural affection I have for Spring Awakening and some of it's cast members. It's been only 4 months since it closed on B'way and, in talking to a number of people of recent weeks, we'd begun to talk more of it's flaws than anything else. I'd begun to wonder if a huge amount of the beauty of the show was indeed coming from the original cast, which also trickled into the first few replacements. Blake Daniel (Ernst), Emma Hunton (Ilse) & Blake Bashoff (Moritz) were all incredible and worthy additions to the cast. Additional actors as part of the ensemble/understudy crew were also positive: Eryn Murman, Matt Doyle (who has his own bizarre cult following) and Alexandra Socha, who ended up replacing Wendla. After that: not so much.


And now, there is the Tour Cast. The show has been in Boston for three weeks, with one more to go. I'm sure if it weren't for may own production/tech week (The Crucible --which turned out to be AMAZING, by the way), followed by my daughter's production/tech week (Willy Wonka, Jr.) I would have picked up stage seats for each week. But I settled for twice.


Overall, the show is intact. Being able to bring it across country to those that didn't have the opportunity to go to NY, is great and the audiences haven't been dissappointed for the most part. I've had many students find their way there over the last few weeks and only know of one (so far) that didn't care for it. The set travels well, with a few exceptions....there is no pit for Act Two which was bothersome (but probably NOT to new audience members) BUT it interferes with the final entrances of Moritz and Wendla to disappointment. The lighting is still magnificent, although (as always) less effective while on stage.

The performance itself? Well. Hm. The bloom is off the rose now. I do have to preface the following comments by saying seeing the production from onstage does limit your ability to view things as they should, since you don't see the actor's faces well enough. So, a bit of my more dour comments may have been softened had I seen the show from the house. (But I'm not conviced of this.)


To the women: Angela Reed as The Adult Women. LOVED her. In her entirety. I've always felt the only person that played this part well was the Christine Estabrook. When she left the B'way show she was greatly missed. NO ONE held a candle to her, until now. I thought she was wonderful. So varied, so intense, and truly captivating. To open, I thought I was going to love Christy Altomare. I'd heard wonderful things about her and was looking forward to seeing it. Her opening song was strong and I was thinking: Yes! I'm going to like her. Even during the first scene with Reed, I was on her side. Then is just sort of stopped. As she did. No growth, no dimension...just "nice". Steffie D (Ilse) was good (although there were a few clunker notes) but I was not drawn to her in any way. And honestly, that's all about the women worth discussing.The rest of the girls were...fixtures. I thought the beauty of the original cast was how individual they each were...here they only believed themselves to be minor characters.

The men: Many more positive things to be able to say here. Blake Bashoff, will continue to be one of my favorites of all time. I would go to see him unwrap a stick of gum. (Really, I would -- because he'd make it interesting.) He's now been playing this part since December of 2007. To the best of my memory/knowledge he hasn't taken vacation (but I don't follow the tour news) and while on Bway, took almost no days off. At 8 shows a week...that's a lot of suicides and a lot of tears. And he hasn't let down one iota. I am in awe of his talent and likewise his dedication. He plans to stay with the tour as it finishes this leg in Chicago in August. I look forward to what comes next for him. (Donnie Darko on B'way anyone???)

Kyle Riabko (Melchior) also comes from B'way having assumed the role briefly when Jonathan Groff departed. Kyle has improved LEAPS and BOUNDS since B'way, but still did not win my heart. I still don't see enought thought and life within his portrayal. I will never fault his singing, and will bow down to his falsetto any day of the week.

I enjoyed the Adult Men, Henry Stram except for one detail. Acting wise he was second only to Stephen Spinella, and world's above Glen Fleshler. In speaking, however, to Bashoff, I found out that Mr. Stram could not do the physical blocking necessary in the confrontation scene. I missed the smacking of Moritz, I thought it was integral in fully the utter despair into which he falls.

I enjoyed seeing Matt Shingledecker in a role instead of his chair on B'way, and his Georg was fun. Ben Moss and Andy Mientus were nicely cast as Ernst and Hanschen. I am still amazed, sadly, on audience reaction to their passionate kissing. Lord....it's 2009 and they are ACTING. (And it was fierce!)

I'll be returning...just one last time.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.