Thursday, February 5, 2009

Ah....it'd been too long.


The Spring Standards (formerly Old Springs Pike) was back in Boston. They sang a few newer songs which I hadn't heard yet as well as a few from their EP (No One Will Know). Sadly, none of their older stuff except Little Bug...but thats on the CD. When I mean older stuff...I'm talking about the early music the stuff they did with Johnny Gallagher. Drink in My Hand, Still Sixteen, etc. etc. Miss it.

Love their new music...I am always amazed by two things:

How often they are plopping new music "out there". Is there no end?
How many different sounds their work takes on. So varied --I mean Smith on the muted TRUMPET????? Very nice.

Both Cleare and Smith were sporting the Mike Nesbit of the Monkees look with their knit winter ski caps. Smith tossed his pretty early on and about 1/2way through Cleare let his locks free as well. Heather was adorable as usual. Sweet when they surprised with her beau on stage....he played the last number with them.

Great Scott in Boston was the venue. What a dump. Freezing. No place to sit unless you stayed in the back of the room. It's an 18+ venue so you get carded and stamped and wristbanded. Oy. I'm too old for bar gigs.

No comments: