Thursday, May 13, 2010

The Good.


Bloody Bloody Andrew Jackson (off B'way, playing THREE times extended at the Public Theater) This is the best new musical HANDS DOWN of the season! LOOOVED it so much, hope to get back to see it before it closes (Now the end of June) Cannot wait for the CD to be released.

The story is raw, the music is 'emo' (who knew there was such a thing AS Emo music?), the tone is raunchy, the humor is irreverant and I loved every minute of it. OH...and it's based on the life of the 7th President of the US: Andrew Jackson, the populist president.

Benjamin Walker alone (Playing Jackson) is worth the price of admission. Him and his tight pants. (I'm not being fresh, it's from the show.) I don't know how much is accurate and how much is not...but I don't really care. It made me care, it made me laugh, it made me think, it made me smile. I even BOUGHT a book ABOUT Andrew Jackson because I was so intrigued. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTbdBeTU11c&feature=related

Hope you catch this if you can. I'm hoping this makes a transfer to a long running OFF B'way house (New World Stages Anyone?) I think it could make a great run! A what a wild ride it is!


NEXT FALL, I'd heard mostly good things about this straight play about a gay relationship. One of the things I love the most, is that this show decided to be a story and not a "cause". It escaped being an in-your-face propaganda piece about gay issues/rights (of which I am a strong supporter) but gives the audience a story, about a couple, that happens to be gay. Sure, we have issues surrounding it, but in a thoughtful way. Basic premise: at the hospital waiting room, we re-vist the 5-year relationship of Adam and Luke (the latter is now in a coma). Luke is the agressor in the relationship, however, not only does his very Christian family not know that the men live together, they don't even know that he is gay. And they probably would not be accepting.

A well-written script, by Geoffrey Nauffts, Next Fall has been nominate for a Tony Award for Best New Play. I'm not sure if it's THAT good, but the story was fresh and suprisingly funny at times, and the performances were grounded and touching. Kudos.

Lend Me a Tenor, revival -- I was lucky enough to see the original production with (a very young) Victor Garber, Tovah Feldshuh and Phillip Bosco. I loved it, and I still consider this to be my favorite farce.

When news broke that Stanley Tucci (whom I adore) was directing, it came with the thought that Grey's Anatomy's T.R. Knight would star, I was ecstatic. But that was short lived, sadly. The revival cast includes: Justin Bartha (The Hangover, National Treasure), Jan Maxwell (nominate for TWO Tonys this year), Tony Shaloub and Anthony LaPaglia. This has so many pieces that are right, but they just don't seem to actually fit. While I thoroughly disliked Bartha's performance, I though the others were quite good. Both the set and costumes were gorgeous. So what is missing? Timing? Commitment? Pacing? I don't know. I LIKED it. Maybe even liked it a lot. Maybe I was expecting too much...because I wanted to fall in love with it again. (Note: the critics were quite harsh to LMAT.)

Next to Normal (yes, again)-- Not much to say other than no one is calling it in. Still moving. Still rip your heart out amazing.

NEWS FLASH: Brian d'Arcy James is RETURNING to the role of Dan (which he originated off b'way)! It is a limited run, as Brian is re-opening on B'way in the fall with the extention of TIME STANDS STILL. So, they have suckered me into going back in June!

No comments: