Thursday, December 4, 2008

It's always something! (ten points to whomever knows that reference!)

More closings.

Grease -- can't say I'm sorry about this one, as the show...well, sucks. Granted, I don't like the show under the BEST of circumstances but this was like seeing a HS production. Don't get me wrong: I LOVE HS productions...particularly good ones, but I don't want to spend over a hundred bucks a seat to see one! And please, no lectures on me being a horrid person being glad that the closing has put many out of work. I'm not glad for the individuals...just getting dreck off of my beloved B'way. (and yes, I realize there are people that loved this show...I am not friends with them.)

Boeing, Boeing winner of the 2008 Tony Award for Best Revival of a Play. Hadn't seen it, but thanks to the Christmas week special performance schedule, I now have a ticket!

I say on Jan 4th (the night the lights go out on B'way) we all hold our own private candlelit vigils. I am truly saddened...even with all the new shows planning to come in.

**********

But new beginings as well on a personal nature: Even though we closed our three night run of Thoroughly Modern Millie less than two weeks ago, today we started our next "mainstage" production. We had our 'festie' meeting which is just me rambling about what the experience is like and giving all of the commitment dates and other important stuff. The room was PACKED!

The funny part: I started having "meetings" about Festival when I didn't work in the building. I couldn't talk to the kids about the show during the school day, so we created the "meeting". I forgot that. Now I'm IN the building...and scheduled the meeting ANYWAY. OY. What was I thinking? I said that to one of the classes and someone replied: but you should keep it...it's a great way to start fesie off.

Now on my white board there is a countdown of how many HOURS until the first rehearsal of festie starts! I thought that was pretty funny! I think that's one of the things I love most about my job. The enthusiasm youth has. It's beautiful and inspiring. And keeps me young...but adds to my gray hair count. (Yes, I know how many I have. Not.)

**********

As for my annual Christmas Pilgrammage to Manhattan: A whirlwind couple of days of seeing shows and catching up with friends and being in my element.

On the line up:
Billy Elliot -- I am SO excited to see this...even from the crappy 41.50 seat I have.

Boeing, Boeing -- When the closing notice was announced, I flew my fingers over the keyboard to get tix!

Re-Write 3 one act musicals written by the one and only Joe Iconis (Black Suits; The Plant that Ate Dirty Socks, Things to Ruin) and starring the usual Iconis Crowd

Road Show, the new Stephen Sondheim musical. I'm all a twitter over this one too!

Believe it or not, I still have one spot open (and I'll only be there Thurs thru Sat!!! I holding out hope that Playwrights Horizon will extend Jonathan Groff's play: Prayer for My Enemy; but it's not looking too good. I'm just dying to see Groff truly act...because I'm not sure if he can. I hope that he can. He's got to be the luckiest young man in Manhattan in a loooooong time. Not only did he land his first b'way show in freakishly a short amount of time; but the boy hasn't been out of work since. He even got to TURN DOWN reprising his role in HAIR as it comes to B'way! Something about previous commitments! No one seems to know what they are, and he won't answer my emails about it. I'm kidding...he always answers them. (kidding again, I haven't talked to Groff since Hair way back in August. That one's true.)

Oy. I'm silly.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Roseanne Roseannadanna. I'll take my ten points in TKTS gift certificates, please!

Have a great trip. Can't wait to read your reviews.

Anita Levy-Sisk said...

Ding, ding! We have a winner!!!

Anonymous said...

Can't wait for the Iconis show and to catch up....and as for Groff, he answered my emails....hmmmm...j/k.

Janine said...

Hi Anita- this is Janine from Broadway Space. I added your blog to my favorites list. Feel free to add mine to yours if you'd like.
:)
Janine