Thursday, November 20, 2008

Opening Night!


Well, it's finally here. After weeks of creativity, disappointments, frustrations and rehearsals...it's opening night for Thoroughly Modern Millie.

The school has suffered a horrid setback. A much beloved staff member was tragically killed in an early morning car accident. The school was in a fog all day, either people were personally affected by the news or KNEW someone that was in pain over the accident. And of course, during it all: still work to be done.

I am not one that outwardly handles grief well. I deal with things by working. On anything. In this case, I had a set to finish. I had technology to fix. I had a million things to take my focus from the sadness. The strange thing for me: I will cry like a baby when moved by literature, art, theatre. Reality? Cannot deal. Which is why theatre works so well for me. I am the living example of how catharsis actually works. (Look up the word: catharsis. It'll be worth your time.)

In spite of everything our final dress rehearsal on Tuesday night went truly beautifully. The orchestra has truly mastered incredibly difficult music and sound wonderful! The backstage crew, which has an incredibly large and cumbersome set, has gotten total of control of things. The actors have truly created some wonderful characters and can sell the hell out of their songs. My light and sound crews are feeling the show. Even the technology worked well. (After all my worries...the translations were actually an easy fix.)

I have surprises for the cast over the next few nights. I can't divulge all the info since some of them check out this blog (which I love!) The culminating surprise is that I will announce not only the title of the next show (the piece we take into competition) but the spring play. (Usually only the NEXT show is announced.)

Break a leg to all the students involved with Thoroughly Modern Millie!!!

1 comment:

JP said...

Thinking of you and your students on opening night, A. So sorry to hear about your loss. My heart goes out to you.